Thursday, March 19, 2015

DIY Drawer Divider



Last fall I bought a small drawer divider for makeup on which I spent more than I wish to disclose. I have been wanting to make a drawer divider for my nightstand for quite some time. I made some large drawer dividers for my dresser a while back with this method. So, here is the slightly downsized version for my slightly over stuffed nightstand. Please excuse the random backgrounds. This project wasn't small enough to photograph in front of a sheet of white paper.

You will need:
  • A pencil
  • Ruler/Tape measure
  • Cardboard
  • Razor knife or X-Acto Knife (Not pictured, I always seem to forget something)
  •  
     
1. Start off by emptying out your drawer and getting rid of the things you don't use or need. This makes the rest of the process 100% easier.

2.Return items to drawer in organizing them into the spots where you would like them divided. (As you can see, compared to my first picture, things did get swapped around a little in the end.)

 

3. Use a ruler to draw straight lines dividing the bottom of the drawer into sections. (Something similar   to a tic tac toe board usually works best. Staggered sections will probably not be your friend)

4. Measure length, width,  and depth of drawer and figure out the number of pieces you'll need and their dimensions. (I ended up needing 2 pieces 12 3/4 X 3 inches, 1 piece 10 X 3 inches, and 1 piece 6 X 3 inches)



 5. Mark your pieces on the cardboard and cut! Very carefully! (Try out the pieces one at a time that are the entire length and/or width of the drawer to make sure they fit securely, trim down any excess length, width, or depth as needed.)

 Be careful with this step too since it's easy to cut pieces off and much more difficult to put them back on.




















6. Mark the cross sections of your dividers and carefully cut halfway into each piece at each cross section. Make this cut no wider than the thickness of your cardboard to the dividers will fit together easily but will not be so loose that they fall apart. (Hello YouTube! I was watching some Tanya Burr vlogs. :) )


7. Assemble the dividers in the drawer, again, trimming carefully if needed.


8. Place your items into their new homes and enjoy a beautifully organized drawer!


14 comments:

  1. You are so clever, Jill! My "junk" drawer is a mess and I am constantly trying to organize it....this is exactly what I need to do :) Thanks for sharing, sweet friend! Happy Spring to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is definitely the simplest and most cost effective way to organize drawers! Thanks so much for the lovely comment Stephanie!!

      Delete
  2. Wow this is a great idea Jill. Thanks for sharing this tutorial on how to organize your drawers. Happy 1st day of spring.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! Glad you enjoyed it! Happy spring to you too :)

      Delete
  3. Very neat idea, Jill! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a good idea...I really need to do this! Thanks for sharing :)
    -Lauren
    lovingourcreator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Lauren! Let me know if you make one! If you have instagram you can tag @eleganthomestead :)

      Delete
  5. Looks like a very handy idea! I always love to see organizing ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bethany! It has really come in handy way more than I even thought it would when I made it. It's so much easier to find things in my nightstand now!

      Delete
  6. So happy to see you shared this with Roses of Inspiration - thank you, Jill :) Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :) Thanks for stopping by again!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!