Monday, March 23, 2015

March Style Challenge Series || Week 3

--Busy day ahead, so I'm publishing today's post from my iPad and I'll add yesterday's photo to the beginning of next week's post. Which will also be the the last post in this series! Oh no!-- 

This week for the March Style Challenge by Modesty with a Capital M I wore a lot of gray. I noticed that I owned a lot and now I know that, yes indeed, I wear it a lot too. It's good to know though. Now I have something fashion-wise to work on. Incorporating more color in instead of blacks and grays and blues all the time. That is definitely an attainable Spring goal!


March 18 and 19: New Hairstyle and Wear a hat
I was skiing on March 18th and decided it wasn't worth it to do a new hairstyle when most of my hair would be in a helmet. So both of these photos are from March 19th. The fishtail braid is not a new hairstyle for me, but more a rare one. I've actually been trying to wear my hair down much, much more often because my default daily hair style was becoming a ponytail and the elastics were definitely doing some damage. My hair was in need of a shampoo so the greasiness texture was just right for a nice fishtail braid. Plus that theme goes along well with one of the only hats I own which is from a fly fishing company.I actually kind of liked how this whole ensemble looked and may wear it again sometime before it gets too warm out!

Hat: Hand me down(?) aka my husband got it free didn't want it
Vest: Hand me down
Tanktop: Hanes Outlet
Shirt: Goodwill
Jeans: Kohls

March 20: Spring is Here!
Okay, not very Spring like. Please tell me what you would wear on the first day of Spring when the high temperature is 34 and it snows all. day. long. I tried....It's a vest. This sweater does not have sleeves!! That is all the explanation and excuse that I have for this outfit. Oh wait, My jeans had buttons on the back pockets that day. That was not fun. Every time I stood up I had to unloop the sweater from the buttons on my backside. Note to self: never repeat this outfit. Note to Spring: Never repeat this weather.

Cardigan: (?) Walmart, I think.
Shirt: Hand me down
Jeans: Walmart

March 21: Dress Like a Disney Character
I'm cheating a bit with this. This is what I intended to wear but it was just slightly too warm so I wore my plaid shirt that I had already worn before in this challenge. Anyway, this is my Eeyore inspired outfit. I went to pinterest in search of some Disney inspired outfit and as soon as a nice gray Eeyore outfit showed up I knew I had the clothes for it and a nice pink shirt that was exactly the same color as the bow on poor Eeyore's tail that always needed to be pinned back on him. I also decided I should put my hair up again. A french braid this time just to have a little "tail."

Tank top: Gift
Sweater: Cotton Company
Jeans: Kohls

March 22: Made By You
I sewed this dress last year. I would love to sew it again but have not yet found any fabric that "speaks to me" for this pattern. You can see the dress sans cardigan in a post on my old blog by clicking >here<. This fabric is busy but, I don't know...there's something about this dress that I still like anyway. I'm not sure if deep down I really do like the print or if it's the vintage shape, or what...

Cardigan: Marden's
Dress: Made by me!
Cami: Hanes Outlet

March 23: Natural
And the third gray outfit in a week! I wasn't totally sure what I was supposed to wear today. Natural colors, natural fabrics...? So I basically pulled out some things I naturally wear on a regular basis, but added a little twist to it. The blue/green vest is actually my favorite scarf. The one from March 14th in the really dark picture. The sun was shining today! I decided that I would use the natural/organic look of the scarf and the ripples and waves it makes as the natural element of this outfit.

Shirt: Reny's
Tank top: Old Navy
Jeans: JC Penney
Scarf/Vest: J.Jill

Do you find a lot of one certain color in your wardrobe? 
Have you ever styled a scarf as a vest?

What sort of Wednesday posts would you like to see in April? 
Wedding series?
Vintage movie/music series?
Continue a fashion series?
Other?


11 comments:

  1. Ooh, the 20th, 22nd and 23rd are my favorite days this time. It's too bad the vest didn't work with your jeans; it's so cute and cozy.
    I definitely have a lot of blue-green, blue, and green. They're the best colors on me, but if I buy any more it's going to be too much! ;P
    It would be fun to see a wedding series (it's weird how quickly I went from not caring to caring about people's weddings....I'm officially a single girl in her 20's now. :P), but I am enjoying your fashion series too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paige! I think it's great to have a lot of a color that suits your complexion in a wardrobe, especially if it's incorporated in different patterns and shades that can be mixed and matched! I was debating about continuing some sort of fashion thing on Wednesdays, but I think I'd like to be able to switch up the subject matter for my middle of the weeks posts. That doesn't mean there won't be more fashion posts in the not-to-distant future. As you know, it is a fun and ever changing topic!!

      Delete
    2. Yes, for sure. I look forward to seeing whatever you come up with! :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Jill! Loved the outfits and your sense of humor! ;) I like the way you styled the scarf as a vest, which I have never done before! I wouldn't mind seeing a wedding series on your blog! That would be great; although I like all of the choices you gave! :) Also love your dress! Blessings!
    ~Sarah~
    http://allthingsvintage-sc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much , Sarah! I think all the topics are things I will definitely be getting around to at some point. There are two votes for wedding posts for the next series so far! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jill, I love your grey outfits. I love grey and black in my wardrobe! Spring and Summer i enjoy bright colors in my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I totally agree! Grey and black can really nice. They are easy colors to dress up or down. I love having bright pops of color in the warmer seasons, but I do seem to own quite a few muted colors and neutrals. I think it sort of makes it easier for me to pull outfits together more quickly without worrying if something I'm wearing really stands out too much. :)

      Delete
  4. You have a great sense of style and a beautiful look!! March 22nd was my favorite, you look great in that dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the outdoorsy look of your first outfit, and you did a great job on that fishtail braid. I haven't fixed my hair that way in a long time--I think I learned how to fishtail braid on the day I visited the state historical museum, so the braid and the museum seem to be permanently associated in my mind...

    Your vest/scarf turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bethany! I like the way fishtail braids look, but they seem to fall apart pretty quickly unless I use a significant amount of hairspray. I practiced this braid on my little cousin at the library, so another unconventional fishtail braid and building association. Haha!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!