Wednesday, March 11, 2015

March Style Challenge Series

Three days into March I decided that it was not too late to start some sort of style challenge. I really enjoyed  Three Days/Three Ways button down shirt and maxi skirt challenges I had done previously, and I know several of my followers were directed to my blog via those linkups.

After a quick internet search the challenge I decided on was a pretty basic one by Naomi over at Modesty with a Capital M. I needed something fairly basic and straight forward because half of my wardrobe is still about 300 miles away and I figured this sort of thing would help me make the most of what I do have right now. I'll be bringing some spring clothes back with my when I visit my parents in a few weeks!! I can't wait for Spring!

I need a better spot for taking photos...the snow is melting!! In front of this door is the most well lit area available immediately after getting dressed in the morning. It's very difficult to get the whole outfit (aka the shoes) in the pictures so I finally figured as long as the item that the outfit was sort of built around is in the photos then I'm all set.

 Here is week 1:

March 3: Polka Dots
 I don't own many things with polka dots. This scarf and a shirt that I don't have with me are it, I think. I wore it with jeans and slippers, which I didn't get in the picture. I really liked the way so many colors in the scarf matched the stripes in the sweater. The slippers I was wearing even matched the bottom stripe of the sweater!
Scarf: Gift
Cardigan: Cotton Company
Shirt:Gift
Jeans: Walmart
Slippers: Woolrich via Sierra Trading Post


March 4: Making Jeans Modest
Modesty standards about wearing jeans vary a lot. I wear jeans and pants most of the time and don't feel that they are immodest. (Though, there are definitely immodest styles out there.) I decided to meet today's challenge of making my jeans more modest by covering up my backside with a long cardigan.

Shirt: Gift
Cardigan: Kohls
Jeans: Walmart 

March 5: OH NO! I started crocheting a chevron scarf when I realized I didn't own anything in chevron. (I have tons of striped clothes. Unfortunately I didn't finish it. :(

March 6: Warm Scarf
 This is a 100% wool stole I tied up two corners diagonally opposite and twisted it into a scarf. It is VERY warm. I wore this scarf quite a few times during the winter because it's so cozy and so colorful! A cool thing about this scarf is that it's the Scottish tartan of my maiden family name!

Scarf: Gift
Vest: L.L. Bean
Shirt: Reny's
Pants: Kohls


 March 7: Full Skirt
 By circumference of the bottom hem, this is the fullest skirt I have right now. It's a wonderfully comfortable stretch knit maxi skirt. I think maxi skirts are probably the most comfortable article of clothing in the world. Warm in winter, cool in summer, and when it's knit, it's like almost like wearing sweatpants, but you can get away with wearing a maxi skirt to church! (Which is what I did. I wore this outfit March 8th and the following outfit on March 7th. I'm just keeping the dates in the order they were for the challenge.)

Pearls: Gift
Cardigan: Gift
Tank Top: Old Navy
Skirt: Family Dollar


March 8: Dressy Scarf
 Here's a hand crocheted item that I made a few years ago now. I just love all the fringe! It takes a long time to weave one little piece of yarn into each stitch but I love how it looks when it's finished. I made one as a Christmas Gift for a friend last year in a beautiful blue-green color. And now, I feel like making another!

Scarf: Made by me :)
Sweater: Old Navy
Tank Top: Old Navy
Jeans: Walmart


Plaid
 This might be one of the last days I can wear a classic plaid flannel shirt this winter. It's in the 40s today! I had to include my shoes in this picture because I wore my suede loafers today! Mainly I've been wearing sneakers or boots for the past few months in all the snow and ice and slush. Today when I went outside I wore my suede loafers and I didn't wear my coat!

Shirt: Gift
Tank Top: Gift
Pants: Kohls
Shoes: Target

March 10: Layers

This day of the challenge wasn't too difficult for me. I regularly dress in at least two or three layers. I even added a hoodie and puffy vest to this later when I went outside! I think I've worn this outfit or something very similar before. The cardigan is a hand me down from a friend. I love her taste in clothes and I actually have quite a few hand me downs from her! (Ha, she does give them to me, I don't just take them!) The jeans were Lauren Conrad flares that were a little on the short side so I turned them into skinny jeans.  This outfit is very comfortable and the cardigan gives it a nice "put together" look that just the tee and jeans wouldn't have.

Tank top: Target
Tee: Old Navy
Cardigan: Hand me down
Jeans: Kohls


Which outfit was your favorite?
Do you have a friend or relative that you love to receive hand me downs from?
Is it warm enough to start wearing Spring clothes where you live?

14 comments:

  1. my favorite look was march 8th, but really all the outfits look great!! (plaid was probably my second favorite)!!!

    i dress extremely casual, long sleeved shirts in winter, short sleeved shirts in spring and summer. not much else changes. and even though i live in new jersey, i always wear flip flops!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! I like to dress on the comfortable/casual side for the most part, though I do enjoy events where I am able to dress up!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE all your outfits Jill! I'm glad you're doing this too! :-D
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Naomi. It's a lot of fun!

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...I really like your church outfit! As maxi's are a favorite of mine too! I also love the tartan scarf with the vest. Very neat that it's the tartan of your maiden name! I love anything to do with Scotland as my family is from Scottish/Irish descent! Love the scarf you made too! It's beautiful! Lovely outfits and enjoyed the post! Blessings!
    ~Sarah~
    http://allthingsvintage-sc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. The tartan scarf was a gift from my brother. He told me it was from this site: http://www.lochcarron.co.uk/ To find if they have tartans in your family name you can type the name in their search bar and the products they have in those tartans will all show up!

      Delete
  4. Your March 7th outfit overall was my favorite--very classy and elegant. I loved your cardigan on March 4th, and the dressy scarf on March 8th.

    And as a matter of practicality, insulated vests are awesome! I wear one or the other of mine basically all winter.

    You are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love wearing my insulated vest! I have been wearing it SO much lately ever since the weather started getting too warm to keep wearing my winter jacket! Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete
  5. Just a little bit of spring here in NJ. Just a taste. I'm looking forward to wearing my Birkenstocks again with all my hand knit socks!
    Thanx for visiting me at Christ in Me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Judy! Thank you for commenting over here. :) I'm so excited that spring is on the way!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jill.. such lovely outfits.. I liked all of them.. But, my favorite was this last one.. So pretty.. My second choice would be the skirt..
    I am SO ready for spring.. We had 60's today..It was so nice... We have been having rain,snow, and ice.. Can't wait to pull out the short sleeves and spring colors are so nice.
    So happy you came to visit my blog.. than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judy :) I really don't mind the cold rain so much as long as it don't change over into ice. I think it's finally past that point in temperature when I live!!

      Delete
  7. Sorry I'm just commenting now. This is such a fun challenge! :D My favorites are from the 4th and the 10th...I guess I like cardigans. ;)
    It is probably warm enough to start wearing spring clothes here, but I'm spoiled by a temperate climate and still think it's cold enough to wear boots every day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love receiving/reading comments anytime! High where I live is 58 today! Spring is so close I can almost taste it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!