Monday, March 16, 2015

Monday Cables || Study

Once upon a time when I dabbled a bit more in the visual arts rather than the crafts side of things (Hm, maybe they're the same.) I spent some free time doing a little study on Greta Garbo's face. It started out as just a little gradient practice using black watercolor. Of course when I finished the first picture I got a little carried away. I grabbed my charcoal pencils and a plain old ball point pen.
 
These are the results. I was pretty pleased with the watercolor. She looks like she has a slight milk mustache on the corner of her lip because I photoshopped a glare out of the picture.

The results of the charcoal were pleasing as well.

Now, the ball point pen was a little disappointing. I used a pointillism method for this. Just making tiny clisters of dots to draw the picture.  The eye on the left is slightly off but I didn't mind much for a quick freehand study.
 Have you ever done a drawing study before?
 Do you have a preferred art medium that you Like to work with? Paint, pencil, clay, etc.?


 

Isaiah 64:8  

But now, O Lord,You are our Father;We are the clay,and You our potter;And all we are the work of Your hand.


12 comments:

  1. You are very talented, Jill! I love how lifelike the faces are. I think in the watercolor especially, the eyes are full of feeling.

    My grandma is a wonderful watercolor artist, and my sister is awesome when it comes to drawing portraits with pencils...somehow I think I got left out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Bethany! It definitely takes practice, like so many other things. I am sure that If I got out some pencils and paints right now, the results would not be like the ones in this post.

      Delete
  2. Very talented indeed. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Jill, you have a gift! I cannot draw a thing...seriously! I truly admire people like you who can draw and paint - you have such beautiful talent.

    Thank you so much for sharing with Roses of Inspiration - I love having you link up. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie!! :) I love joining in on the link up and seeing all the other wonderful posts!

      Delete
  4. You are very talented! The charcoal is my favorite, I felt as tho I could touch her face and it would be real. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! (I think that might be my favorite one too...if I'm allowed to pick favorites in my own work! ;) )

      Delete
  5. these are all really beautiful!!! i am not much of a natural artist but i do have a flare for anything crafty and i do love to try new things!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! Drawing is definitely worth a try. You never know, you may have a hidden talent for it :) I have to admit, you are a much better knitter than I could ever hope to be!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jill, wow you are such a talented artist and I love all the pictures you made! Thanks again for the visit to my blog. I'm now following you via google friend connect. I look forward to becoming new blog friends.
    Julie at Julie's Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julie! I really enjoyed your blog too! I can't wait to see what other posts you have in store! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!