Monday, March 9, 2015

Monday Cables || "To Make Daisies"


 Welcome welcome to my new spot! I was previously blogging over at The Wizard of Odds and Ends Thanks for stopping by here and please follow, share, and tell your friends if you like what you see!

Recently at a local flea market I found a Bucilla Daisy Knitter.  I had heard of daisy knitters before but had never seen one like this so I searched the US Patent number and it turns out that it was manufactured about 1931. It was invented by Antonio Dolia and made in Italy. 



The box that mine came in is just a little crushed and doesn't have a top but the instructions were still inside and so was a needle! I'm not sure if it was the original needle that was included with the new Daisy Knitter.The instructions explain in both text and illustrations how to make a daisy and on the back there's a photo and steps on how to join daisies so you can learn to make afghans, scarves, hats, etc.



I decided today would be a good day to try it out and see how it works!

There are instructions for single petal daisies using one spoke at a time. Mine is a little lopsided but I'd say that it's a successful first try!






There's also a double petal daisy wrapped over one spoke. At the end of these instructions it is explained that triple, quadruple, etc. petal daisies can be made just by going around the spokes again. I think this one is my favorite. I'm still having a hard time making the center.

Lastly, The instructions show a single or double petal two spoke design. I made the double petal since I liked the fuller look. The geometric look of the yarn around all the spokes looks so neat! The instructions for weaving in the center say to pass the thread under four petals. That didn't seem right for a six petal daisy so I went by spoke number instead of petals and it seems to have worked. I just need to work on the way the last center stitch looks!



This was really fun and simple! I may just have to make a daisy blanket out of some colorful double petal daisies!


Do you use/own any vintage craft items?

--The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.
Isaiah 40:8--

23 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm on your new blog! These daisies are fun. The one with multiple petals is my favorite too.
    I also like your new profile picture. You are so pretty and I like the colors you're wearing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for following and for the sweet compliments, Paige! (I thought I replied to this days ago.....did blogger eat my comment?!)

      Delete
  2. How fun! A friend of mine inherited hundreds of knit flowers from her husband's grandmother~ I helped her come up with a pattern for an afghan with the somewhat random colors... fun! (Reminds me I need to see if she ever got it put together) I also made a home-made version of the knitter out of a plastic lid, and made a couple of flowers to embellish Rebecca's knit hats... I'll post photos on your facebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered having a conversation about daisy knitters with you once that's why I had to buy this one when I saw it at the flea market and I'm so glad I did! They are so quick and simple to make but you can really get a variety of looks depending on how much you wind the yarn around and what type and color yarns you use!

      Delete
  3. I love this! In fact, I had no idea there was such a tool for making daisies :) Now I'm going to be on the lookout for something like this since I love making flowers.

    Thank you so much, dear Jill, for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Stephanie! My aunt created her own version of a daisy knitter. I had a conversation with her a while back about patterns for them and hadn't really thought about it lately until I came across this little treasure. :) Good luck finding one!! :)

      Delete
  4. How neat! You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a great idea, very doable for anyone!!! these would be great for my knitted hats and also for pretty scrapbook pages. thanks for the idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I never thought of using them for scrapbook pages! Neat Idea! They do look lovely on hats too!

      Delete
  6. I remember using something similar years ago. This brought back the memories. Such a pretty flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and commenting! Glad this brought back some pleasant memories. :)

      Delete
  7. What a great find.. Flower are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie! It was a lot of fun! Hope you visit again!

      Delete
  9. My mom had a vintage craft item similar to this except that it was square and it had pins that stood upright instead of spokes. It produced something that looked like this, but square. It was given to my niece in Australia, so I hope she enjoys it and learns to make some pretty things with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've something like that with the upright spokes. I think those are roughly 1960s/70s era and a little bit more versatile than this one.

      Delete
    2. "I've seen something like that..."

      Delete
  10. Oh how fun! I have never seen one of those before! Thanks for sharing....I came over from ROI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to share! Thanks for visiting and commenting, I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete
  11. Oh, my goodness! That is so neat - I'll be keeping an eye out for one of those. :D

    ~Miss Michelle
    www.delightfulhandwork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some more modern versions available, but I wasn't too interested in flower making until the vintage box of this one caught my eye.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!