Friday, April 24, 2015

How To || Make Candied Violets

 I think spring has finally decided to stick around for the next couple of months.  The grass is green, plants are sprouting, leaves are budding, and flowers are blooming. The violets have opened their delicate purple petals and on Wednesday a nice rain shower rinsed them and they were ready to be picked. My husband and I went out for a walk and plucked each little blossom from it's stem and because it was rather spur of the moment, I ended up with a large handful of violets in my coat pocket.

 *Please, if you are just picking plants off the ground, make sure that you are picking the correct plant!! If you are not familiar with the plant, or do not know anyone who is, you can go to a nursery that sells edible flowers and some one will help you find exactly what you need!*

When we got home we spread the flowers out on a paper towel and looked up a recipe for candied violets. I honestly do not know where my husband found the link or where it lives in cyber space, but all the information we borrowed from the link that originally belonged to it, as far as I know, was oven temp and time.

*Note: This recipe uses egg!*
I consider myself to be pretty germaphobic, and the word salmonella stood out prominently in my mind, but that's why I used a recipe that called for and oven, and not just letting the egg white dry at room temperature on the flowers. You could also use the pasteurized egg whites that come in a carton if you're more comfortable with that.

These aren't really pictures of the whole process, but the ones I have are too delicious not to share!!



Ingredients:
Violets
Egg whites
Granulated sugar (just eyeball the amounts of egg and sugar, you can always add more if needed)
Tweezers (optional) we just used our fingers
Cookie sheet
Parchment paper



Directions:
Preheat oven to  200*F
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
Individually dip each flower into the egg white, then into the sugar.
Place it gently on the cookie sheet. Repeat until all flowers are finished
Place cookie sheet into the oven for 20-40 minutes (Check every 10 minutes at the 20 minute mark)

The flowers will be dry and brittle. If you bring the sides of the parchment paper together, many of them will just fall into the the center of the paper, dump them into a small bowl. If there are any that are still stuck to the paper very gently push them with your finger while peeling the paper away. There may be just a few that got folded over and are still a little gooey, I ended up just throwing those ones away. This is just a small portion of the all the flowers we picked...


These flowers make great garnishes on cookies, cakes, or on my favorite, chocolate ice cream!













5 comments:

  1. Wow Jill thank you for showing how to make these. They are so pretty looking on food! Have a wonderful weekend!
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, you are so welcome! Thank you for reading! I really want make some more candied violets and put them on a cake with white frosting. I saw some pictures of that and I think it looks beautiful! (Plus it's a good excuse to bake a cake!)

      Delete
  2. This is so cool and creative! The violets look unique as garnishes!

    ❤ Blaze Ann
    www.p31beauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Blaze Ann! Edible flowers certainly make for a different and colorful garnish on "regular" food!

      Delete
  3. These are so pretty, dear Jill! I have never had candied violets....are they extra sweet? Thank you, my friend, for sharing with Roses of Inspiration - it's always a joy to have you at the party. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!