Monday, April 13, 2015

Monday Cables || Knitting Needle [Pillow] Case

Hello, I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!! Today was a beautiful day and I spent about 98% of it inside. Sad. I know. I have stalled on doing my simple (by comparison) taxes. I started those this morning, got confused because it's my first year doing them by myself, then I waited for my husband to get home to help me finish them because he took tax courses in college.

Between getting confused with taxes and the time he arrived home from work I tidied up a bit. If you follow me on Instagram and/or Facebook you may have seen these photos recently:


 A friend sent me a box of knitting, crocheting, and various other craft supplies she had stored in her attic. I was so thrilled she thought of sending it to me! It was like Christmas morning opening the big box that arrived on the porch. She had told me that there was an afghan that needed to be stitched together. I had not anticipated such gorgeous rows of colorful wool granny squares!

This is the yarn for stitching the afghan together. I love the little foil charm that says "START KNITTING HERE"  I wish Red Heart still put them on their yarn! Those would be so helpful for finding the beginning of the skein!

During the tidying up portion of today I took all of the knitting needles and crochet hooks out of the box and added mine to the pile on the bed to group them all by size.  I actually ended up only being able to sort out the straight knitting needles, though I did write down the sizes on the double pointed and circular needles before putting them into a big freezer bag.

I grabbed an old pillow case out of the fabric bin, cut a few seams and sewed some new ones with this being the ends result. Nothing fancy, but it does the job. The knitting needles are now nice and organized! There is an empty spot. I have no size 9 needles. I've got to go through this bunch again. I may be listing any duplicate sets on Etsy.

Now, here's a little story. There was no blood or sweat that went into the making of this needle case, but there were a few tears. I was about halfway through sewing and went to reach for something from the sewing box on the floor and WHAM! I smacked my right eyebrow on the sewing machine. Boy, that hurt!  I went and got some ice for it and started crying more from the surprise than from the pain. I've got a nice little bruise now mostly covered by my eyebrow. I think I may have narrowly avoided a black eye. I should know by tomorrow morning.

Have you ever experienced any crafting injuries?
How do you organize your craft supplies?


--For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. Psalm 139:13--

8 comments:

  1. oh! Poor you, Jill! I know I've had one or two crafting accidents in the past, but I can't recall them to mention:) Well done on organising all your knitting needles...a big job made simple and the storage case you made is fantastic!
    I'm new to your blog and I look forward to following along!
    Blessings and much love to you in Christ!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment, Kelly-Anne! I'm glad you took the time to read and leave a note! I really appreciate and I'm glad to have you follow along! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jill, wow I love this granny squares and all the knitting needles! Have fun with putting the squares together! Take care and enjoy your day.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun sewing the afghan together, but I've got a little bit more organizing to do before I can sit down and start that.

      Delete
  3. Ouch! I have also injured myself sewing. I was using my mom's machine once and it had a little peg sticking out from the side of the needle mechanism and it caught me on the way down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know how that feels too! Theres a little thing that sticks out on my machine that loosens and tightens the needle. Luckily I haven't hit any of my fingers too hard with that....yet.

      Delete
  4. These are beautiful, Jill! I've always wanted to learn how to knit (and even attempted it) but it just doesn't seem to be my thing. I think it would take my a year just to get started and even if I did finish, it wouldn't look this beautiful. And- ouch! I hope your eyebrow will heal soon! Hopefully it wasn't too painful! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley! Have you ever tried crocheting? I'm a very slow knitter and crochet is much more my craft. I can use one crochet hook a whole lot easier than two knitting needles. My eyebrow is feeling much better, thanks! Still sore, but not bruised and thank goodness I don't have a black eye!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!