Thursday, April 2, 2015

Wedding Series Week 1 || What I Made



This is going to be a Wednesday series. I'm a day off because of another ski trip, I think the last one of the season. If you're wondering about the final week of the March Style Challenge Series, look no further than the post before this one! I had that up a day early so I could start my April series the first Wednesday in April but I guess my schedule played an April Fools joke on me! Ha! Very funny, schedule!

So, here's the short but sweet back story. Since I've posted bits and pieces of it other places I'll just put it all together now. I got engaged last summer and married last fall after a 5 year long distance relationship. I had been working on my wedding dress since the beginning of summer because I sort of knew that things were about to happen. I took a lot of pictures of dress progress and I think in the craziness of everything they got deleted. However, I will definitely share them if I ever do find them. The only two pictures I know of the dress in progress are when it was just about finished.

I used Edelweiss Patterns Liesl's Party Dress, omitting the lower sleeve puffing and lengthening the skirt. I had looked online for a dress but everything was so expensive and/or so strapless. I wanted to wear a dress, not a glorified tube of toilet paper. I'm sorry, but that's often what white strapless dresses make me think of. Strapless dresses and the mason jar and burlap trend are a couple of things I knew right from the start that would not be in the wedding or reception.

In this first photo, all the sewing is done except for the hem and the zipper. After I installed the zipper I took it to a professional seamstress because I was so pleased to have gotten to that point that I was worried I might might make the hem uneven or something and decided to leave that to someone who really knew what they were doing. She ended up doing a fitting for me as well so the dress would fit perfectly!

This is the second in progress photo after I finished the veil. Still no hem on the dress but the zipper was in at this point. There are a few pictures of the dress from my wedding over on Katrina's Edelweiss Patterns Blog.

I consider myself a pretty good planner and organizer, also since it was a small wedding with a short amount of planning time I decided that I didn't want to go down wedding planner route.  I knew I could use things I already had and there were some other things I could easily make. I posted this little series of progress pictures of the "something blue" garter and the ring bearer pillow on Instagram.

I used a simple tutorial from SomethingTurquoise.com to make the garter.



I also had some doilies and the card basket that I had made years ago on the gift table,  but the only other thing I specifically made for the wedding was this Bluebird bunting. Which, I still (as mentioned on my previous blog) plan on writing up a tutorial for!




Have you ever thought about sewing or having someone sew your wedding dress?
What are your favorite/least favorite wedding trends?
Do you prefer very original weddings or the traditional old, new, borrowed, and blue weddings?

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful.. You have done a wonderful job. Love the dress.
    I sewed my daughters and my daughter in law's wedding dresses.. and I never want to sew another one.ha [too stressful]. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Judy! I do have to say, I don't think I'd sew a wedding dress for anyone else. I would definitely feel too much pressure for everything to turn out just right and I was glad to let someone else to the fittings for mine.

      Delete
  2. Your dress is beautiful! :D To me it seems really brave to sew your own wedding dress. :) I don't plan on doing so unless between now and whenever it is I get married I decide to give sewing another go and end up being good at it...one never knows!
    Your description of strapless dresses makes me smile. I'll have to remember that one. ;)
    I know I probably said this before, but the bluebird bunting is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paige! my sewing machine actually just sat at the end of my bed for about 2 years after I got it because I didn't know how to use it and was very daunted by the task of learning how! I finally sat down and learned just a few years ago!

      Delete
  3. This dress is so lovely. I actually found your blog through the link on the Edelweiss Patterns write up. It's such an elegant classic dress, and I totally agree about strapless, cannot stand them. I made my own wedding dress for my December wedding. I went a very antique/vintage look for the dress, but still have not seen anything quite like it anywhere. My tastes in weddings are definitely simple. I love details, but for me a church wedding followed by a family lunch was the most perfect wedding possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Kaitlyn. :) I saw your wedding dress post and your dress is so beautiful! I love the lace!! Our weddings seem fairly similar. I had a church wedding followed by a family lunch as well. I had always thought I'd go the "traditional" route of renting a reception hall and having music, but I ended up not having enough time to plan that and I am so, so happy that I ended up having a small wedding!

      Delete
  4. The bluebird bunting is very beautiful!Preparations for the wedding is always very inspiring and full of emotions!
    Wonderful post.
    Lets follow eachother on GFC. let me know if it is yes. Leave a comment about following and then I will come back immediately and follow you.

    http://vkusnosbety.blogspot.com/


    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bety! That is so true about the wedding preparations! I visited your blog..your photos are so bright and gorgeous! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow Jill, I am amazed at this beautiful wedding dress you made! You did a great job and you are so talented!
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very, very much, Julie. I was pretty amazed myself when I finished the initial dress construction because I've only been sewing by machine for a few years.

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful dress, Jill! So glad you decided to do a series of posts about your wedding! Blessings!
    ~Sarah~
    allthingsvintage-sc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah! This series only got two votes, but it was more than than any of the other ones I had suggested! lol So, in all fairness I had to go with it! I'm very happy that you're enjoying it! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!