Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Wedding Series Week 2 || The Music


I hope you all had a beautiful Easter celebrating the resurrection of our Savior!! I was able to go and visit my parents which is why there was no Friday or Monday blog post. Now it's time to get back into the swing of things.  Last post I talked about the things that I had made for my [mostly] DIY wedding. This week I'm going to share the songs that were played and sung and YouTube links to the versions of those songs that made me choose them for the wedding.

With just a few weeks to go before the wedding I knew I still had to take care of the music so I called up my uncle and asked if he would be willing to play piano and during the ceremony and I was so happy when he said he would and followed with "anything you want" since I did have a few songs picked out already.

Over the next week or so I got some messages from my aunt asking if I had a song for such and such part of the ceremony, and I usually didn't. Planning the music part made me realize just how much music there is in a wedding ceremony!! I had just picked the processional, a song for the middle of the ceremony and a recessional. I left out anything for the wedding party to walk in during and something to be played as the guests were coming in...and maybe something else. I don't know. See, I'm forgetting again!!
~~I've thrown in some random wedding pictures to break up all this text!~~

Almost ready to go!


As the parents walked in I think it was just "diddly music" as my Aunt called it. However, the synonyms on thesaurus.com are not correct. The piano music was very soft and lovely and perfect for the very beginning of the ceremony.


After the parents were seated the next song was "Joy in the Journey." I thought the title was sort of appropriate since during our long distance relationship my husband and I took many, many long car, bus, and train trips to visit each other. I knew the song had a deeper meaning so I talked to my mom about it and she reminded me that our two separate journeys were going to become one and she really liked the idea of that song being played at the wedding too.   Joy in the Journey

The next song is one that I had wanted played at my wedding for years. I would guess, hm, maybe about 14 or 15 years.  One of my cousins loaned me her copy of the 1994 movie of Little Women. During Meg's wedding the family formed a circle around the bride and groom and sang "For the Beauty of the Earth." I fell in love with the scene and the song and decided that I wanted that song played at my wedding someday. At first I planned on having it played for the recessional at the end of the ceremony but I still needed a song for the wedding party to enter so I switched it to that spot. It worked out really well because the melody is short and could be repeated as many times as necessary which was good since we hadn't totally worked out the timing of everything. On the movie soundtrack it's sung a cappella  but during my wedding it was only played on piano. For the Beauty of the Earth

My beautiful bridesmaid and best friend of 13 years helping me with the sash on my dress


Of course, once the wedding party had all walked down the aisle, it was my turn. It was one of the scariest and most exciting moments of my life at the same time. Finally, I was able to walk down the aisle to a song I had been planning on having played at my wedding even longer than "For the Beauty of the Earth." My uncle played a short fanfare on the piano and then began Wagner's "Bridal Chorus" which I think just about everyone knows as "Here Comes the Bride."  It was a little difficult to find a piano version on YouTube with the fanfare, but here is one that it basically the same way it was played at my wedding with just a few stylistic changes.  Wagner's Bridal Chorus

My grandfather said the "Dearly beloved..."  things and then said a prayer. My grandfather is a pastor and it was so nice to have him perform the ceremony as he had for my parents in the same church 30 years before. My uncle switched to guitar then he and my aunt sang "O Love that Will Not Let Me Go." I had heard Chris Rice's version of this beautiful hymn probably just before I got engaged. O Love That Will Not Let Me Go

My brand new husband and I (just said our vows a minute or two before!)  praying during the ceremony.
 My mother was looking up music before the wedding and found "O Perfect Love." She thought it would be nice to have everyone sing it as a wedding prayer. We sang it just after exchanging the rings. This was the version that she sent for me to listen to. O Perfect Love

 The last song played at the wedding was the recessional. Since I switched "For the Beauty of the Earth" to much earlier in the ceremony, that left this spot open. I wasn't sure at all what I wanted so I chose "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring." The same song my parents had played for their recessional. Jesu Joy of Mans Desiring


Do you know any of these songs?
Have you ever heard them at another wedding or in church?




10 comments:

  1. Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring is one of my mother's favorite songs--it's beautiful! Sounds like you picked a great collection of songs for the ceremony. I enjoyed the photos.

    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bethany! I had a few of these songs stuck in my head after I wrote this post and found myself humming them throughout the day.

      Thank you SO much for the Liebster Award nomination! I will definitely be writing up that post soon!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jill! O what a beautiful bride! I loved reading about your music choices and hymns! I know most of them and agree they are perfect and beautiful! My parents also had Jesu joy of man's Desiring at their wedding !
    God bless and thanks for popping by to see me earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet compliment and comment, Christine! I'm so glad you've visited over here! :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post! Lovely modest dress to I might add.
    Your bouquet reminds me of my daughters when she was married.
    Your music was all lovely, some I have never heard before.
    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debbie! I'm glad you stopped by. :)

      Delete
  4. So,so beautiful and you looked beautiful [love the dress]
    I love that your grandfather did the wedding.. That is so special.. My son is a
    pastor and now his son has surrendered to preach..he is 16, and he is doing a
    wonderful. I am so proud of both of them.
    Pray God's blessings on both you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy, it was really special!
      That is so great to hear about your son and grandson. It is always wonderful when someone is not afraid to stand up and speak the Truth from a young age!
      Thank you so much for your prayers too! It means a lot.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely wedding! Yes, I know all of the music except joy in the journey. I'll be sure to listen to it. So nice that your uncle played the piano. I like that version of For the Beauty... But also John Rutter's arrangement of the same hymn. It must be on YouTube also. It would be John Rutter and the Cambridge Singers. Fun to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting! I'll be sure to check out your blog and that arrangement of the hymn that you mentioned too. I always love to hear new arrangements of old favorites! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!