Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Monday (Or Tuesday) Cables // My Favorite Skirts

Last Friday reposted a yoga waist skirt tutorial from my old blog and today I wasn't really sure what to write about. I've only been working on the Christmas stocking and it's just about finished so I thought I'd wait until next Monday to post the finished product.

After going through some of the filing cabinets of my mind and prying open a few of the rusty drawers I thought of a series I had begun last summer on my old blog called "Handmade Wardrobe" where I would put together a few outfits that featured an article of clothing that I had made myself. That series to an abrupt end when I had to start packing clothes away for my post-wedding move.

 I thought I'd make today's post about things I've made, as Monday Cables usually are, just not anything current. Plus this post is also a bit of a "spin-off" of Friday's post. These are a few of my favorite skirts and the tutorials I based them on. As I was typing this post I realized that all of these skirts were basically free for me! Other than sewing time put into each one, I already had all the materials I needed for all of them!

First is my Pleated Wrap Skirt based on the Tutorial at Grand Revival Designs. I made it in one night from an old sheet. It took me about 5 hours with several distractions. Right now it is in extreme need of ironing to put the beautiful pleats back into it!!! Taking it out of my closet for this post made me remember just how much I LOVE this skirt. Perhaps I'll wear it on Sunday and take a few pictures of it on. It's definitely one that I wear a few times each Spring and Summer.



Next is my Circle Skirt which is based on the pattern (and math formulas) over at danamadeit.com. The fabric, that's an old shower curtain. I absolutely love the embroidered flowers on it! The hem turned out a little uneven all the way around, but in my opinion I think it gives the skirt a nice bohemian style.



Of course I have to include a Maxi Skirt. I have been wearing maxi skirts pretty much everyday since I got poison ivy three weeks ago!! I've finally been able to wear pants again just within the past couple of days now that it's starting to heal up! This tiered maxi skirt is based on the JCarolineCreative How-To. This particular skirt started out as a skirt of another sort. Originally it belonged to my brother, he didn't wear it though. It was a bed skirt!






Another really simple skirt refashion that I have done a few times is just chopping of the top of a dress that is either worn out or doesn't fit right, adding an elastic around the waist and, voila! The most simple skirt you will ever make!!! I loved this full skirt on a dress that I had, but the dress was spaghetti strapped, empire waisted, and had a wide pink tie waist band and just didn't look that great on me. Since I really liked the fullness of the skirt and the print on it I got out my scissors and my sewing machine and within a couple of hours I had a new skirt!



~~ Proverbs 31:30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.~~

4 comments:

  1. I especially love the last skirt! So pretty!!

    Dani from A Vapor in the Wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dani! I think it may be my favorite as well just because it was so easy to make!! I've made another skirt a similar way from a dress that was a couple sizes more than what I wear. The elastic cinches the waist in and it fits perfectly!

      Delete
  2. Fun! I love the first one, and the eyelet one. I've made a skirt from a bedsheet before, and it's fun to recycle fabric like that.
    No pressure to do it, but Becca and I tagged you for an award! http://cleverbunnies.blogspot.com/2015/06/sisterhood-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bethany! Wow! I would love to accept your tag and the award and I will totally answer the questions. I've got kind of a sporadic schedule, but keep checking back because it will be up soon!

      I definitely love recycling old bed sheets and other large amounts of fabric not originally intended for clothing. Some older bedsheets have great prints on them too!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!