Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Sound of Music Series Week 3 || Love is Not a Fight

So far in this series I've posted a showtune and a 1940s popular song. Here is something that's quite different from both of those. Some of you may be familiar with the music of Warren Barfield...

 I first heard of Warren Barfield in the fall of 2009. My friend asked me to be in her wedding, but not only was it going to be the first time I was ever a bridesmaid, it would also be the first time I ever sang at a wedding. Oh boy! Preparing to be in a wedding, and learning a song for a wedding, plus beginning courses at a new college all within a couple of months was pretty crazy. In fact I didn't really have the lyrics solidly memorized until just a couple of days before the wedding!

I remember one night after an evening church service I felt my friend grab my arm as I walked out of the sanctuary. I turned and smiled, expecting some exciting wedding chatter. I guess it was...she asked me if I wanted to sing in her wedding! I think I responded by asking, "Why?" She kindly replied, "Because you're a good singer." (Anybody noticed my consistent lack of confidence yet?)

Here are a couple pictures of dress and shoes. The dress was sewn by the bride's mother! You can click the photos to enlarge them.












Well, I agreed to sing and she handed me the CD with the backing track of a song I'd never heard of. Love is Not a Fight by Warren Barfield. I put the song on my computer and practiced with the lyrics printed on the CD insert. The day of the wedding I was definitely nervous, but I was able to get through the whole song with no mistakes!!


I've intentionally changed the pixelation the video to respect the privacy of the wedding party but I really wanted to share this video so you could hear what I sound like singing something more contemporary compared to the videos I've already posted.

I plan on recording and uploading something brand new for next Wednesday. Leave any suggestions you may have for songs in the comments and I'll be look for karaoke/backing tracks for them on YouTube.

Thank you all very much for listening and for your kind comments the past 3 weeks! It has been a wonderful encouragement to me!

8 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job on that song. Thanks for sharing it.
    I'd love to hear you sing some hymns like I Want My Lord to be Satisfied With Me and Down From His Glory. No pressure though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I've actually never heard of those two particular hymns, thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely be looking for backing tracks to other hymns to see if I can find something in my key.

      Delete
  2. You look and sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've heard that song before, but it's been a while. Nice job! What an honor to sing at a friend's wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paige. This was almost 6 years ago so it is older. (Ha! It seems funny to me that I'm calling something from 2009 "old") It is fun to look back on when I sang this, but it was nerve wracking at the time. First wedding I was ever in AND I had to sing!

      Delete
  4. What an honor to be asked to sing! You sounded great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Laura!! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!