Friday, May 15, 2015

Tutorial || No Sew Bluebird Bunting



Alright, I said I'd have this up tonight and I'm determined to have it posted before midnight No matter the struggle. I've been sitting on a towel most of the day (which you will see is the lovely background for my photos) with calamine lotion on the poison ivy on my legs while working on this. In the middle of it my camera battery died, so I had to wait for that to charge. Now the computer wants to update and it's acting a little funny. I am determined to publish this post tonight!!!!


Materials
3 Colors of Fabric Quarters --Any colors! It doesn't have to be a Bluebird! (I got mine from JoAnn Fabrics)
1 Spool or about 3 yards of 1/2 inch wide ribbon or lace
Liquid Stitch
Scissors
Pencil or sewing chalk
Posterboard (If your fabric quarters come with thin cardboard in them, you can use that instead.)
Sharpie (optional)


 1. Draw full body of bird on cardboard. About 6 inches from the tip of the beak to the end of the tail feathers. Cut out.



2. Trace full body of bird from cut out onto second piece of cardboard.


3. Mark second bird at tip of beak and the lower base of the tail. Draw a line connecting both points shaping the bottom of the head and the wing as you go. Cut ONLY this top portion.



4. Trace full bird on third piece of cardboard and draw a line at just about the 1/3 point from the front of the bird for it's chest. Cut ONLY this front 1/3 portion.

They will layer together like this:



5. Trace each piece for the number of birds you want, all facing the same direction, then turn the cardboard pieces to face the other direction and trace again the same number of times. (note: Trace on the back of your fabric so chalk or pencil lines will not show on the finished bunting.)



6. Make sure you have all the pieces for each bird and have the same number of birds facing left and right. (These are the fronts and backs of the birds.)
 


7. Apply liquid stitch first to the back of the chest piece and attach it to the body. Then liquid stitch the back of the wing piece and attach that to the chest and body piece. Repeat for each bird.



8. Cut a piece of lace or ribbon long enough to give you just about 1 foot per bird. I had three birds, so I cut three feet of lace.(I'll be calling it lace throughout the rest of the tutorial.)



9. Cut the same number of roughly 8 inch pieces of lace as the number of birds you have. (Once the front and backs are put together, so half the number if birds you have assembled so far.)


10. Apply liquid stitch to the wrong side of a bird and lay one of the short strips of lace roughly in the center of the wing and about half way inside the bird.




11. Lay a bird, one that was facing the opposite direction, wrong sides together, with the bird you just placed the lace on. Press together and firmly pinch the lace inside to make sure it stays in place. Repeat for each bird.



12. Stack the birds facing the same direction and trim the ends of the lace even at the top.



13. Evenly divide the long strip of lace placing birds beneath. (You may even want to pin them to the lace and hold it up to be sure the bunting isn't crowded.)

14.Taking a bird and apply Liquid Stitch to the first two inches of the short lace and fold it over the long piece of lace, pressing firmly to secure it. Repeat for each bird.


15. Let dry. Hang up and enjoy!
PS. Sorry I had to use my flash for this picture so you can see all the gross prints and smears on the dresser! Definitely time for some furniture polish!



(Optional) Use a sharpie to color beaks black and draw eyes. You can also trim the edges of your birds too if you'd like a neater look.

Thanks for reading! I'd love to see if you make a bird bunting! Tag ElegantHomestead or use the hashtag #EHBirdBunting on Instagram. Or feel free to post or private message your photo to the Elegant Homestead Facebook page!

10 comments:

  1. It's fab! I love the colors you used and it seems easy to make! Hopefully I can give it try soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! Let me know if you try it, I'd love to see the results!

      Delete
  2. Hello Jill, I hope you feel better soon. Thanks for the tutorial for the bird bunting! Great job and I see you worked hard. Enjoy the weekend.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! I think my poison ivy is beginning to turn a corner, though I'm still itchy on many spots. Glad you enjoyed the post and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. really beautiful and a great tutorial!! these are quite popular now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Debbie! I'm really happy you liked the tutorial!

      Delete
  4. Great project Jill! :D It looks fairly simple too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Paige! I think it is pretty simple, the thing that takes the most time is tracing and cutting out the pieces, but they certainly don't have to be double sided.

      Delete
  5. Bluebirds are my favorite bird, and I love this bunting. I have to make it. Thank you for the tutorial. Btw, I put you in my reader a few months ago, but google has treated my unkindly lately so I missed some of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like the tutorial!! please share when you do make it because I would really love to see it! Thanks so much for the follow! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!