Wednesday, June 10, 2015

June Series || Makeup: Lip Products

Last weekend I went to a World War Two event and dressed up in a 1940s style dress. A day or so before I needed to find a red lipstick to complete the look and went to 4 stores in search of the right shade of red and a red lip liner, a product I had never purchased before.

Earlier this week I took out all the lip products I own and swatched them on my arm so I could share my opinion on each one. I don't consider myself a beauty guru by any means and I'm not being sponsored by any of these brands, but I did really, really like two of these products. I figured if I was going to share those I would share the rest of my small collection!



Wet n Wild Juicy Lip Balm in Strawberry:  I purchased this on a whim one say while waiting for my dad to come pick me up at Rite Aid after I pulled in the parking lot when my car overheated. (Ain't that glamorous?) I had been wanting a natural or sheer colored lip product and I'd heard good reviews about this on YouTube. There are several flavors and I decided on the lightest color pink. Also, this is SPF 15 so it is great if you're going to be out in the sun! It's much less waxy feeling than Chapstick so you may enjoy this for sun protection on your lips compared to some alternatives.

Pros:
 Nice scent, sightly chemical but still a sweet strawberry smell.
 Goes on sheer and has a nice subtle color and sheen
 Very moisturizing
 SPF 15

Cons:
If my lips are really dry the color seems to get caught around the chapped spots on my lips and  make them stand out. Not the best look...



Covergirl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm in Rose Twist 225:  This was the earliest purchase on my quest to find a natural colored lip product. It wasn't exactly what I expected. The cover and the sample swatch on the website look very much on the purple end of the pink spectrum but on my lips it looks like a very sheer bright pink. I actually don't mind the color even though I was looking for something else. The consistency of this is more waxy although it still applies smoothly and does have a gloss to it.

Pros:
Good pigmentation

Cons:
Packing color is slightly misleading (in my case)
Very waxy smell



 Revlon Colorstay Overtime Lip Color in 02 Coral:  The next stage in my lip color quest was to find something a little more bold but not crazy. I wanted a summery coral color, but a pinky coral not an orangey one. I really like this color but unfortunately it doesn't really look that good with my skin tone, which obviously isn't the product's fault. The color side is a standard lip gloss wand and the gloss side has a brush. You're actually supposed to buy the makeup remover tube for this product but I found out that applying the Wet n Wild Juicy Balm over this product and then wiping my lips removes almost all of it. I'm not too keen on the sticky consistency so I won't be purchasing another shade.

Pros:
Stays on really well!
Very subtle gold shimmer

Cons:
Need to purchase the makeup remover
Feels very sticky


NYC Ultra Moist Lip Wear in Retro Red:
 This was the lipstick that I wore to the World War II Weekend after searching through 3 other stores for a plain red lipstick. At the event I wore it over the lip liner that I'll be reviewing last in this post. I love the shade of this lipstick however, on it's own after I blot it the color looks almost see through which I don't really like but It was only 99 cents so I didn't expect it to be some long wearing, bright, and bold lip product. It's definitely moisturizing and applies very smoothly! it also has a nice scent even though it's not marketed as a scented lip product.

Pros:
Moisturizing
Nice scent
Price

Cons:
Not long wearing
Pigmentation isn't great after blotting



Sephora Rouge Lipstick in Valentine: I was in the mall with my husband looking for a pair of peep toe flats for my World War II Weekend outfit we waked past Sephora since I specifically wanted a red lip liner and was unsuccessful at finding one in two stores already. I also looked for a red lipstick since I hadn't purchased that yet either and I had other things to do that day so I was running out of time. This was the cheapest lipstick I could find in the store, $12.50 and I picked up the one that looked the most red to me. (The store was pretty dimly lit. I don't like dimly lit stores.) I got into the car and swatched this on the back of my hand and was disappointed to see a bright pink streak. Luckily I was able to find the 99 cent NYC red color later. 
However, I have decided that I really, really like this lipstick. It's matte, it stays on great, and is still very bold even after blotting. I think I may be a lipstick wearer now. Maybe just once in a while, but that's more often than it used to be. I'd love to buy a more natural color but can't justify spending another $12 on lipstick. An yeah, I did mention above that it was the cheapest one I could find in the store.

Pros:
Long wearing
Great pigmentation
Nice scent
Pretty much everything

Cons:
Price (I know three are far more expensive lipsticks out there, but $12 on one make product is just not in my budget.)



 Sephora Waterproof Retractable Lip Liner in Scarlet: I meant to buy one of the small $5 Nano Liners but apparently there weren't any so I got this one for $13 instead because by the time I picked it up after having looked for red liner in a couple other stores I had hardly anytime left for shopping! It was definitely worth it. This waterproof liner stayed on ALL day in 90 degree heat In the picture you can see that the liner is just barely more red than the Sephora lipstick above and a little more pink than the NYC lipstick below.  I put it entirely over my lips and then put the NYC lipstick over that and it lasted for the entire 12 hours that I was at the World War II Weekend! This retractable lip liner is great...no sharpening! It's also got a small brush on the end too!

Pros:
Pigmentation
Long wearing
Waterproof

Cons:
Again, price. I was in a makeup store though, so I wasn't exactly bargain hunting and Walmart didn't have a bright red lip liner!

 I hope you all enjoyed these reviews and were inspired to try a new lip product or color! Thanks for reading!




4 comments:

  1. I just recently started trying out bold lip colors too!
    Ive always loved the red lip look just never tried it.
    Thanks for sharing your opinions on them.
    Natasha
    A modest fashion blog: www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised by how much I liked wearing the bright pink! You should definitely try red lipstick it is such a timeless look that can be casual or dressy and it really looks beautiful on any skin tone! You may want to look into whether a blue based red or an orange based red works better for you first. Thanks for stopping by Natasha!

      Delete
  2. The Sephora lipstick looks so pretty! :D There aren't any Sephoras near us, or I might try to find their next sale. ;) It's super that the lip-liner stayed on all day too. I liked this review and look forward to what's coming up next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much, Paige! I'm definitely going to be checking the Sephora site for sales now. It's definitely not a store i usually shop in. In fact, my first time in the store was when I bought the lipstick and liner! I know on the site right now there is a discontinued or clearance(?) shade for $5 which is quite a discount from $12.50. I'm not sure what their shipping is though.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!