Monday, August 10, 2015

Wineberries

Hello! After a couple of illnesses I am finally feeling up to posting again! I guess I'm skipping out on the last post of the July Series in a way, but I will still share the photos with you that would have been in that post.

 I went wineberry picking a few weeks ago. These berries look a lot like raspberries but they're actually an invasive species of plant! They are pretty delicious!! They have a sweeter flavor than raspberries, in my humble opinion anyway, and the outsides of the berries leave your fingers much stickier! Once the berries reach a deep red color they are ready to pick and enjoy. The redder they are, the riper they are.


The photo above is a wineberry pretty much at peak. Doesn't it make your mouth water?

There were also some ripe mayapples. I know basically every part of this plant is poisonous to humans except the fruit pulp which many people make jam from which I have yet to try. The leaves on these plants remind me of the tree star in The Land Before Time.

Alright, hopefully I have gotten myself back into the swing of things and you will all be seeing many more posts from me very soon. I am a little behind in my August planning, but I have been crafting a lot, so I'll have plenty to share! 

 If you have an Instagram, go ahead in click the Instagram icon at the top of this page! I'm 11 followers away from 100!!  If I can reach 100 Instagram followers by this Saturday, August 8th, I'll be giving away a $20 Hobby Lobby gift card!!!








3 comments:

  1. Ooh, how interesting! I've never heard of those; they do look like raspberries.
    I'm sorry to hear you've been ill again. :( Hopefully you can get back into the swing of everyday living and blogging soon. Stay well! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of them until a couple of years ago and I would never have known the difference between these and raspberries if I hadn't been picking them with someone who did! I'm still trying to get back into the blogging thing!! I miss it so much but apparently my whole body decided it needed a break for a little bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill I do hope you feel better! What nice berries. Take care.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!