Friday, November 13, 2015

The 37 Doilies Project




 Many of you are probably familiar with the Sullivan Entertainment 1980s movies based on the Anne of Green Gables book series by L.M. Montgomery.  In the second movie when just after Anne finds out Diana is engaged they have a conversation and during the course of this conversation, this quotable little quip occurs:
                                         
                                              DIANA: Myra Gillis had 37 doilies when 
                                              she got married and I'm determined to 
                                              have at least as many as she had.

                                             ANNE: I suppose it would be impossible 
                                             to keep house with only 36 doilies.

I had lofty ideas of finishing up the sewing my wedding dress, making some of my own decorations and accessories, and then some how fit in crocheting 37 doilies all within the 6 weeks that I was engaged. Well, I got most of those things done. All but the part about the doilies. Though, I did use 3 doilies I had crocheted long before as part of the decorating!


Just over a year later and I am finally ready to undertake that challenge! And what better time to start than just before winter because these look like lovely, delicate snowflakes, don't they? Of course, there is the small issue of what happens to all 37 doilies when I finish this project, but you'll just have to wait and see about that...

I'm actually doing things the right way and blocking the doilies that I make!

Current count: 5.5 doilies. 


The following doilies were photographed pre-blocking.




This is a giant table runner!! I know I put it in a another blog post sometime shortly after I finished it. I just bought more blocking mats today so I'll actually have a large enough space to block this on.


These are the ones that I crocheted quite some time ago and used for wedding decorations.  They don't count toward the 37, but they are kind of cool to look at.



1 comment:

  1. You made such pretty doilies Jill! Have fun making them.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you like what you've read so far, don't forget to follow and share this page with your friends!!